Food preparation is something I started doing last summer. As a working mom of two, my time is limited when it comes to preparing healthy meals. And to maintain a healthy lifestyle, I have found that food preparation is so important. Since I will be heading back to this week after having a great summer off, I need to be ready. So a couple of weeks ago I made a list of meals that are freezer friendly and started cooking a few a week. So now I have a good head start heading into this upcoming school year.
I want to share what I made to show you how easy it is to prepare healthy and delicious meals that can be made ahead. With a little preparation, organization, and time, it can easily be done.
1. Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas – These could not be any easier to make. And you can double or triple the recipe! After tightly rolling them, I wrapped them in plastic and then foil to make sure they stay tight.
2. Sloppy Joes – Another very easy recipe to throw together! I am able to get 3 servings for two people out of this.
3. Turkey Chili – all done in one pan! This recipe is from the 21 day fix meal plan but there are a ton on Pinterest!
4. Turkey meatloaf – Again, so many healthy versions of this on Pinterest. Just pick your favorite! I freeze it uncooked so once it is thawed, it is all ready to go to be baked.
5. Spicy black bean burgers – I made a double batch of these because it is so easy to through together! To freeze, I flash freeze them right on the pan and then wrap them in foil. It is much easier to do this when they are already frozen. I freeze them uncooked.
6. Zucchini turkey burgers – Great thing to make while the zucchini is in season! To freeze, I flash freeze them right on the pan and then wrap them in foil. It is much easier to do this when they are already frozen. I freeze them and then cook them after they thaw out.
7. Meatballs – I bake the meatballs and then put them in a freezer bag.
I don’t use a freezer meal for every day of the week. Usually I will do one or two and for the other nights, I will choose a meal that is very simple to put together or that can be prepped on the weekend. I try to plan ahead when I will have a certain meal on a certain day. It will depend on if I plan to get home later than usual or if I can expect the afternoon/evening to be busy for whatever reason.
I have a great head start as I head back to work. My goal is to make freezer meal planning a regular feature on the blog. So as I go through these meals I will be adding more and sharing!