Memorial Day has already come and gone which means summer has begun!
And that means it is time for BBQ’s. The perfect side dish to any meal cooked on a grill is cole slaw. Now that the nice weather is here, we make cole slaw at least once a week. And we don’t always have it when we grill but love it as a side dish.
I made this broccoli slaw based on a recipe in the latest issue of Food Network Magazine. What drew me to this was the use of fresh herbs. This was the perfect opportunity to use herbs from my garden for the first time!
What’s great about slaw is there are so many options and different ways; you just make it the way you prefer. This is how I took the original recipe and made it to my liking.
Recipe (adapted from Food Network Magazine):
- 16 ounce bag of cole slaw
- 1½ cups chopped broccoli
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- about ¼ cup total chopped fresh dill and parsley
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 tbs. cider vinegar
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- In a large bowl, combine the cole slaw, broccoli, red onion, and herbs. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, cider vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the cole slaw mix and gently stir to combine thoroughly.
I love how this came out. It is just the right amount of creaminess and tang and the fresh herbs add a lot of flavor.
I look forward to lots of dinners on the grill this summer which will allow me to make this a bunch of times!